Having water issues?

While the Municipal Authority will do everything reasonable to maintain sewer lines throughout the area, the Municipal Authority is generally not responsible for the backup of water or wastewater into residences. Under the Governmental Immunity Statute, the Municipal Authority is not liable for damages from sewer backup whether or not caused by blockages in the municipal system. Customers are cautioned that it is possible such backups may occur from time to time; and, residents are advised to install a back flow prevention device to protect their personal property. Customers are further advised that homeowners insurance does not normally cover such a loss, but that additional coverage may be purchased to provide financial protection resulting from backup of water/wastewater.

Other information

  • Property owner is responsible for water line and shut off valves from the Municipal Authority’s main line to the premises.
  • The Municipal Authority will assist the property owner in the repair or replacement of the water line to protect the integrity of the public water system and public street. This policy applies to the water service line between the Municipal Authority’s main water line and property owners curb stop (shut off valve).
  • Property owner is responsible for maintaining the sanitary sewer service line from the main trunk line to the premises, including street replacement if necessary.
  • Plumbing services are readily available from a number of reliable local suppliers.
  • Insurance for water and sewer line repair is available through various companies. The Municipal Authority endorses Service Line Warranties of America. Call 1.866.922.9006 for more information.


The water coming out of my faucet is brown.

Brown water can occur due to repairs, operations of valves or hydrants, etc. Run the water at a laundry sink or similar location until it clears up, or just wait for a while before using the water.  Brown water is caused by sediment, usually rust or manganese.  Many older plumbing pipes are made of iron, which over time naturally rusts.  If a pipe is damaged by rust then it could cause the water to turn brown.  Many homes built before 1960 were plumbed with galvanized steel water lines.  As these water lines age, they can collect a rusty sediment that can come out at the tap when you turn on your faucet.  If the discolored water is only present at one or several faucets (but not all of them), or if your water is discolored every morning but runs clear one you’ve had the tap running for a few minutes, chances are good that the problem is with the water lines in your home.  Brown water isn’t a pleasant plumbing situation, and often means there is a more serious plumbing afoot if it is an issue with your own plumbing system.

If brown water is contaminating hot water taps.

Then it could mean that sediment has built up in your water heater, and it should probably be replaced.  Water heater manufacturers recommend flushing your water heater tank annually as regular maintenance.  This helps limit the amount the amount of sediment that builds up in your tank.  Typically tank storage water heaters last anywhere from 10-15 years.  Regular maintenance including draining the tank can help your water tank last longer.

If brown water is contaminating cold water taps.

Then its more likely a rusted pipe.  A rusty pipe should be replaced not only to alleviate the sediment in your water, but also prevent rust from bleeding through your walls.  While re-piping can be a costly procedure, it can eliminate a lot of plumbing problems from on-going leaks, water pressure issues, slab leaks and brown water.

My water pressure is low/I don’t have any water.

It is highly unlikely that you do not have water due to a mainline break. Unless others in the area are experiencing the same conditions, the problem is isolated to your residence and an internal plumbing issue needs to be addressed with a plumber. Most times low water pressure is due to a faulty pressure regulator and is the homeowner’s responsibility.

I have a leak at my water meter.

There are only two nuts on the meter that could leak, and they have rubber washers in them so unless you have moved the meter, it is very unlikely that a leak would develop. All other components around the meter (for example the main valve, pressure regulator, or water softener) are the homeowner’s responsibility.

I have sewer smell in my property/sewer backup.

Sewer backups in the owner’s lateral are the responsibility of the owner, rarely a mainline backup can occur. We advise the use of a “back-flow prevention” on the sewer lateral to prevent backup into the property. Without back-flow prevention, a sewer backup in the main can cause flooding into a property and is not the responsibility of the Municipal Authority.

Where is my curb valve/I need my water shut off.

Curb valves are not always accessible, but the Municipal Authority will make every effort to locate and operate your curb valve in an emergency. This does not change ownership of the service line or valve. The service line is owned by the property owner all the way to the main water line. If a curb valve has been concreted over, landscaped over, or neglected and lost it may be inoperable for Authority personnel.

My main valve in my property will not work.

Contact a plumber for replacement, as the Municipal Authority does not maintain the interior valve.

I have a problem with my deduct meter.

A deduct meter is the responsibility of the propery owner. These meters were purchased by the owner and installed by their contractor. Any problems with these meters will not be managed by the Municipal Authority.